Tips If Your Power Is Out

Photo: American Red Cross

If you are returning to your home with the power out, the American Red Cross is offering these tips:

Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.

Don’t use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning device inside your home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

Don’t hook a generator up to your home’s wiring. People should connect the equipment they need to power directly to the outlets on the generator.

If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.

If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.

Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use perishable food from the fridge first, then use food from the freezer. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for about four hours. A full freezer will hold its temperature for about 48 hours if the door remains closed.

If it looks like the power will be out for more than a day, prepare a cooler with ice for freezer items. Keep food covered in a dry, cool spot.

 

Past Stories

Comments