Firefighters were called to a fire at Hilltop Laundromat at Western and Callender about 7:50 a.m. Friday.
"We were told there was a dryer fire in the back of the building," West Peoria Fire Chief Terry Schadt tells 1470 & 100.3 WMBD. "Crews made entry and put the fire out."
"We are still looking at the dryer itself to see exactly what could have caused that dryer to catch fire," Schadt says. "We don't know if there were any clothes in it yet or if anyone was using it other than the two people that were in the building."
Schadt says those two people were safe and outside when fire fighters arrived.
"One of them did make an attempt to put the fire out with an extingisher," Schadt says. "We don't know if that was adequate enough, but we did put some more fire out."
There were no injuries. Firefighters from Peoria, Bartonville and Peoria Heights were called to help ventilate smoke from the building.
Schadt estimated the business could reopen Friday night, but points out the electricity and gas have been shut off. Schadt says it will be up to the owner to decide when the laundromat reopens.