The holiday shopping seasons shifts into full gear with many stores beginning their Black Friday specials Thanksgiving night.
The Pekin Police Department is recommending a few procedures to take to help ensure area residents’ shopping excursions are safe.
1. While driving, make sure to buckle up and avoid distractions such as cell phones or food consumption that might remove your focus from traffic around you.
2. Don’t get in a hurry. Allow yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
3. Be aware of your surroundings when parking your vehicle. Try to park as close to the business or near a light if shopping during the evening hours.
4. Prior to exiting your vehicle, make sure to hide your belongings or secure them into your trunk or glove compartment. Also remember to LOCK your doors!
5. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash around with you.
6. If carrying a purse, make sure to keep in constant physical contact with it. Do not leave a purse unattended in a shopping cart.
7. When carrying your purse with a shoulder strap, place the purse portion in front of you instead of on your back.
8. Teach your children to seek out a store employee if they become separated from you.
Police also say to always be aware of your surroundings and do not hesitate to contact your local law enforcement agency to report suspicious activity.