A federal judge has allowed a delay to the start of the misconduct and fraud trial of former 18th District U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock.
The Peoria Republican is accused of misuse of government and campaign funds.
Schock’s trial was originally scheduled to begin in July in the courtroom of U.S. District Judge Colin Bruce in Urbana.
The Journal Star reports Bruce agreed during a scheduling conference Friday to move the start of the trial to Jan. 22.
Bruce’s ruling was prompted by pre-trial motions that are yet to be reviewed and continued evidence gathering.
Schock’s legal team, in an eight-page motion filed Wednesday, requested the trial be delayed to January.
Attorney George Terwilliger had said several pending motions, and motions anticipated later after all the evidence was handed over by the government, made the delay necessary.
Bruce said last week he doubted the trial would go on as planned in July.