With heat indices in the triple digits, people who don't have access to air conditioning face serious health issues.
Fortunately, they can take refuge in cooling stations set up around the region.
The Peoria County Offices at 2301 N.E. Adams and Tazewell County Offices at 200 S. 2nd Street are open to anyone needing a break from the heat. Any public building, fire or police department building will be open as well during normal business hours.
In the City of Peoria, the following locations are open as cooling centers as well:
- Salvation Army, Sylvia Fites Center, 414 NE Jefferson, 8:30-4, M-F
- Department of Human Services (DHS), 2301 NE Adams, 8:30-5 M-F
- Friendship House, 800 NE Madison (corner of Madison & Wayne), 8:30-5
- All Peoria Fire Stations, open 24/7
- Civic Center Verizon Café (water stations, tables and chairs), 201 SW Jefferson