A central Peoria family is okay after its house went up in flames.
Firefighters were called out to 2119 N. Gale Ave. around 8:45 a.m. Friday. Flames could be seen jumping out from under the home's gutters as crews hacked their way inside, and smoke was visible from as far away as I-74. The family of five that lived in the house was able to get out unscathed before fire crews got to the scene.
The cause of the fire appeared to be electrical, according to Battalion Chief Jerry Malone. He told 1470 & 100.3 WMBD that an air conditioner on the home's second level had malfunctioned. Malone praised the firefighters who responded to the blaze for working quickly to get it under control in about ten minutes.
"It was a tough fight. Anything in an attic area is a difficult fire to fight," Malone said.
The Red Cross was called to help the family find temporary housing.
This was the second fire reported in Peoria Friday morning. Crews responded to a fire at an apartment building at 2913 NE Adams around 2:45 a.m. The fire started in the basement, although just how it was lit is under investigation. Residents of three apartments in the building were not hurt. The Red Cross is also helping them find temporary housing.